Monday, June 2, 2008

I Have it all Figured Out for the Year.

I hate going to the company Christmas parties. You’ve been there: you are assigned to a table, you make small talk, you eat too much of a buffet meal, and then the dreaded part…the lights start to flash, the disco ball comes down, and the music starts to blare.

My heart goes thump-thump-thump, but not to the beat. Do you know why? If you ask anyone who knows me they will tell you that I am tone deaf. I can’t hear the beat, feel the beat, or even know that there is a beat. In a nutshell I dislike dancing- thank you very much. I have a tiny secret that gets me a free pass out of dancing: I put on really high heels that I can not possibly walk in and by the time it is time to dance my feet hurt too much, “Oh well maybe next year.” (Insert big sigh).

David is a different species all together he is what I refer to as a homo-disco- sapien. Let me put it to you this way: He received a disco ball as a Christmas present from a co-worker. He will dance with anybody , to anything and he looks so happy doing it. I do catch him staring longingly at me as if to say, “I wish this was you.” To which I respond with exaggeratingly pointing my finger to my feet, and making a sad "Oh I wish this didn't hurt so much" face. To his credit he never dances the slow songs with any one other than me. If I am not willing to dance he will sit at the table and look at me with puppy dog eyes. (All right I give in.) We go to the dance floor and we start in the waltz pose, however I forget which side we hold our arms up. David whispers in my ear, “Love let me lead.” No problem with me. However that is easier said than done. We end up doing a push-pull-marathon on the dance floor, to which I am not keeping beat to. Finally David gives up and we end up dancing like junior high school kids: His arms at my waist with my arms around his neck and our feet just slightly moving side to side. David is a good sport, because he keeps taking me to these parties each and every year.

My third and final task of this year is:
To learn rhythm (to the best of my God given ability.) And then to take dancing lessons with David, mainly to learn what arm we are suppose to put up when we are slow dancing.

Also dancing lessons will enable me to let go and to let him lead. Oh yeah and most importantly dancing lessons will give me more dancing moves other than the ones I learned in middle school.

David sweetheart this last accomplishment is for us. I want you to twirl me around the dance floor. I want to be the only lady who gets your attention and dancing feet moving. I want to dance in the moonlight with you. I am going to end this blog because I have to break out the disco ball…now where did I hide that thing?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, you look amazing! Congrats! :)

Judi said...

Amy dear, where are you?
Hope all is well!
Judi

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh as I read this - as a danceophobe myself, I know EXACTLY how you feel ! :) I had to make my husband PRACTICE dancing to our wedding song the night before our wedding to ensure I didn't make a complete ass of myself (or him either...).

By the way, you look AMAZING! :)

Judi said...

Amy dear,
I sure hope you're on some sun drenched beach somewhere. Because you sure ain't here! And, I'm looking for you....!
Hope you are well...
Judi