Tuesday, December 30, 2008

There Goes Santa Claus...

I am waving a big goodbye to Christmas. I have been sleeping for four days straight; in fact I am still in my jammies. I do plan on getting dressed sooner or later, but I haven’t gotten enough energy yet. Recovery is hard.

I de-trimmed the house today- in my jammies of course. How come it took me twelve hours to trim the house, and only fifteen minutes to take it down? (That is a head scratcher for sure.) It feels so good to have my house back to normal. The Christmas thing was nice, but my home didn’t feel the same. You have to understand that I love my home. I wish I could have you over for tea and cookies, because my house is so cozy and relaxing. My decorating taste is very eclectic. For example my mantle is home to three sparkly pinwheels in a Waterford crystal vase. I have a bubble gum dispenser in my living room, which serves a double purpose. First it is a décor item and a savings account. Don’t get me started on my kitchen.

Ahem, back to Christmas…

Christmas was interesting this year. Due to the weather we lost power for at least twelve hours on Christmas. We had a white Christmas; the problem was that the price of the fairy tale came in blizzard form. In the power outage I was freezing because it was cold in every room. It got dark early, and there didn’t seem to be enough candles to light the house. The worse part was we were not allowed to flush the toilets. You see we live on a septic field and therefore we have a pump, and if we run out of water something bad will happen. (Did I mention there were five of us, the power was out for over twelve hours, and there were just three bathrooms?) (By the way we were allowed to wash our hands, but that was all we were allowed to do with the water.) I ended up eating digestive cookies all day, because we could not open the fridge or cook. (That part was awesome!) In the end *we ended up cooking the turkey on the barbecue in a middle of the snow blizzard. *We used a Coleman stove to prepare the potatoes and veggies. The best part was *we didn’t have to do the dishes because of the water shortage situation. It was the best Christmas ever, because we were all together and nobody had to do anything but hang out together.

*When I say “we” in regards to cooking I mean my mother and father-in-law.

I bet you are wondering what I received for Christmas. Let’s just say I got everything on my list, except for the thousand dollar espresso machine… maybe next year.

2 comments:

Judi said...

Well, you topped my Christmas!
Moments after complaining to my coworkers that I NEED to simply Christmas, I read your blog! Somehow the gangs of folks who infiltrated my house and helped me to dirty every dish, glass and piece of silverware I own doesn't seem as bad as it did....thanks to you!
You deserve to stay in those jammies for the next week!
Now, I just have to refuel for another few days of cooking and dishes...
Stay warm!
Judi

Kathy said...

Well, that sounded like quite an exciting Christmas. I bet it will remain in your memory as one of the best too. It is true about how long it takes to put up the deocrations as opposed to taking them down. But I hate the taking down part. You have to get everything back in the box it came from and nothing ever wants to fix exactly the same way. Happy New Year to you.