Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Have to Say Farewell

Dear 2008,

We had so many plans together! Remember? You were going to encourage me buy sexy clothes and wear make-up everyday. You told me that I was beautiful and wanted to bring me out of my shell. You promised that you would be the year I would lose at least 50 pounds with your awesome 2008 help. Do you remember that you promised we would travel during your year? I believe you said our destination would be somewhere hot and tropical. You even hinted that we might visit New York this year. 2008, you said that we would throw lavish dinner parties so I could show you off to all of my friends, and maybe with your inspiration I would make some new friends. Why did I believe you? You made a lot promises that you failed to keep. Shame on you 2008!

The thing is I believed you. Yes it was true I was drunk when we first met, but in my defence we did meet at a New Year’s Eve party. And you looked so handsome and promising; I even dumped 2007 for you! He took it pretty hard; in fact no one has seen him since. Do you remember that night we met? I told you my hopes and dreams, and you told me that they would all come true as long as I stayed with you. What a fool I was! I waited month after month for the airlines to call and give me the good news that I was going to Mexico, or Hawaii. I even looked in my closet for new designer clothes; only to find my same old clothes that I got from 2007. (At least 2007 bought clothes for me.) Finally I would get on the scale only to be disappointed that I didn't lose the weight you promised that I would lose during your year. I was so despondent that I could not think about dolling myself up by putting on make-up! I waited a whole year for you to change my life, and it was a year that I wasted.

It is with regret that I have to give you the awful news that we are breaking it off. I can’t help it 2008, you were too good to be true. (I should have known better when you didn't called the next morning.) I can’t believe that you made me believe that I was going to accomplish so much if I just stuck it out with you. I had no idea that I had to commit and work to get these for- mentioned tasks completed. I thought that you, 2008 would arrange for me to travel and see the world. (It is true my suitcases were empty, but that is because you were supposed to buy expensive clothes.)(I am sorry I rant when I get upset.)

2008 we are totally done!

With dashed hopes,
Amy

I have some good news; I am meeting someone new tomorrow night. His name is 2009. I think I learned some valuable lessons from my relationship with dumb old 2008. One: Don’t hook up with someone when you’re drinking. Two: Don’t start planning dreams together after only seconds of making their acquaintance. Three: Don’t expect them to do all the work; you have to give a little too.


This year I am not going to drink when I meet 2009, as I will need a clear head to size him up with. I will not make any plans right away. (I don’t want to get my hopes up. I also don’t want to scare 2009 away.) Finally if I do ask 2009 to accommodate a few things for me; I will do my part to make sure that 2009 stays on top of everything. (You can’t let these years get away from you- they will just run amuck if you let them.) I won’t lie and say that I don’t hold high hopes for 2009; I do, I really do.

In fact 2009 better kick some serious ass!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a great post ! I just found your blog ! Awesome !

Judi said...

Amy dear....
I love your way of putting things. We all do a lot of things that we regret in the morning when we have our wine goggles on! Well...I know I do!!!
Good riddance to 2008 and
HELLLLLLO 2009!
Judi

Diz said...

My Dearest Any...I am the "Other Woman"! 2008 cheated on you and now I see he cheated on me! The Bastard! I hope you took the loser for all he's worth, cuz I sure the hell did! And I have him 60 lbs of fat and kissed him off right!

Here's to us and our new man 2009...you don't mind sharing do you? I prefer to be upfront about the whole thing.