Saturday, March 7, 2009

Just a Little Bit Superstitious

I hate to admit it, but yes I am just a little bit superstitious. I believe one should knock on wood after touting good fortune and taunting bad. I try to remember to throw the salt over my shoulder if I should happen to spill salt on the table. The only problem with that is I actually don’t know what shoulder is the correct shoulder, so I throw it over both. (I am warning you it may not be the best idea to sit directly behind me during a meal, because some days I can be very clumsy with the salt, and person behind me doesn’t stand a chance.) Back to my superstitions:

I won’t give someone a purse or wallet without money in it, because doing so will bring that person bad luck. (Plus I might need a loan from them later.)

A cat will try to take the breath from a baby. (This superstition is 13 days new. “Where is my RING, Ringo?”)

Washing a car will bring rain. (That is why my car is now grey.)

To find a penny heads up brings good luck. (I just like finding money period. I would consider it REALLY good luck if I found a $100 bill with Benjamin Franklin smiling up at me I would think my luck was phenomenal.)

Crossing your fingers helps to avoid bad luck and helps a wish come true. (Who doesn’t do this? I know I am not alone on this one.)

A cat has nine lives. (DAMN IT!)

To have a wish come true using a wishbone, two people make a wish, then take hold of each end of the bone and pull it until it separates. The person with the longer end gets their wish. (Yeah but the only problem is- I have a short attention span so five minutes after I have won the “Battle of the Bone” I have forgotten what I wished for, so I don’t know if my wishes ever came true.)

If you blow out all of the candles on your birthday cake with the first breath you will get whatever you wish for. (But have you noticed the older we get that it is harder it to earn our wish?)

If you blow out your candles and there are some still lit; the lit candles represent how many boyfriends you have. (But have you noticed the older we get that we have become players?)

Garlic protects from evil spirits and vampires. (David told me this, but he knows that I HATE vampires, and he seems to point this particular superstition out when he reeks of garlic. “Oh yeah eat more and protect me. "You are so good to me, baby.”)

Step on a crack, break your mother's back. (My mother has had numerous back surgeries. I am a very bad daughter. Step…step…step…sorry mom.)

If a black cat crosses your path you will have bad luck (Ahem don’t you mean an ORANGE cat. Okay I am still bitter. “Where is my ring bad orange kitty?”)

I come by superstitions honestly. My grandfather is superstitious. He believes that if he makes it through the month of February he will go on to live another year. If I was him I would have this superstition as well. As far as I know most of the people in his immediate family kicked-the-bucket during the month of February. That being said this is also a head scratcher at the same time, because most of people in his family also lived to be what I would deem as old. (90 or so) My gramps is 70 something, so I figure he has at least 15 to 20 years left. The whole family breathes a sigh of relief on March 1st, and we feel that are worry free for another 11 months. Isn’t a terrible he has the whole family believing that his “time” will be in the month of February? Talk about an uber-superstition.

The good news about superstitions you can overcome them. I use to think Friday the 13th was a day of bad luck. That was until my daughter was born on the 13th, and now I think the 13th is a wonderful, lucky, day.

2 comments:

Diz said...

I think we all have those little superstitious things we do to ward off evil. You may have to hook up a transmitter to the next baggie, leave the door open, and see if the kitty takes the bag to the ring.

lori said...

my brother replaced everything in his wallet that he thought he lost. a year later he found his wallet in the crawl space of his basement where his cat put it. don't give up. follow that cat.