Thursday, June 11, 2009

Toxic

I am not a person who takes pleasure in another person’s misery, but I take pleasure in knowing that I am not part of someone’s misery. Does that make sense? I will explain…

Do you remember: La La La I am not listening anymore? It was a classic blog entry in which I discussed my new relationship with my bathrobe, and my old toxic relationship with an ex-friend. I have some updates.

My old “friend” who I will refer to from this point forward as “Toxic T” has only a handful of friends. (I wonder why.) When I was thrown out on my ass I was one less victim…I mean friend. She only had 5 in her circle. Last week I got an email from another one of Toxic T’s victims asking me how I was doing? I thought, ‘Why is she consorting with the enemy?’ It turns out that she has been on a quest to find me for some time, because she walked away from Toxic T! Walked away? Who does that? I couldn’t do it.

I believe with all of my heart that if Toxic didn’t throw me off the train I would still be riding the rails with her; unhappy as ever. We talked for a number of hours, and we hardly talked about the Toxic One. It was just good to catch up.

Now let’s see if I am good at math: Toxic only had 5 friends. I am gone, Victim #2 left; wow that only leaves her with 3. Things are unravelling.

What if she loses more victims? Who will she pick on next? Her husband? Nope he is already beaten down.

Deep down I know that other people will be smarter and braver than I was. They will wise up and kick Toxic to the curb. It may take them time, because it is hard to breathe when you are breathing toxic fumes, but it is possible. Her victims will realize that they are beautiful, and that they deserve to be treated better than this.

I guess I am just glad to know that it wasn’t about me. I have peace, and I have a friend back, and that just goes to show me that people think highly of me despite the company I kept.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I started reading your blog about the time the "breakup" happened. I occasionally wonder if you've ever heard from Toxic T so it's good to hear that she is up to her old tricks and you are still recovered from her sickness. I am glad you were able to rekindle a friendship you thought was gone for good. I hope you have a great day today.

Diz said...

Good for you. Somewhere in the back of your mind, you had to wonder if there was something to ToxicT's crap. Getting in touch with a mutual friend relieves you mind and reinforces that it was a good thing to be away from that damaging influence. It validates the good things you already knew. Congrats Girl.