Wednesday, May 28, 2008

First Attempt at a 10K...No Really!

I am so beat! I feel like a wet pair of jeans that have yet to have come out of the washer-machine; all stiff and unwearable. I swear to you that I stretched. I prepared. I brought water and almonds. I wore my best pair of sneakers. I did everything I knew how to do today to make myself as comfortable as possible. I even went as far as to hire two coaches slash trainers. It is true that my trainers are on the cheap, as they are my husband and my ten year old daughter Holly, but free is free. What can I say?

Why do I hurt so much? In my brilliant moment (not so much) of wisdom I decided to walk 10K to “see” how it felt. You know to try it on for size. I went on to Google maps and carefully mapped out my route to make sure it was a 10K walk.

We started out around 10:30 in the morning. It was starting to get a little hot, but really how long would this walk take us? No more than an hour…an hour and fifteen minutes tops. Hey we can handle an hour or so. David was so excited about the prospect of what I was taking on, and I was grateful for his support and willingness to share my first 10K walk. I also managed to sucker him into a 10K walk every week for that matter; for the sake of “training”. I have to admit the first 7 ½ K were easy to accomplish, but after that we were starting to feel the power of the sun’s rays.. Apparently when the sun comes out it gets very HOT; who knew? We started to drag our butts and I started to question whose idea this was to come out here in the blazing heat and walk 10 bloody kilometres! But only I couldn’t complain because we both knew it was all my idea. Damn! At this point the only time we talked was to make comments about the how long roads seemed to be, and other times was when I asked David what time it was.

The best news is we made it home at 12:36 thank goodness; it was touch and go for awhile there. (For those keeping track the walk took us two hours and six minutes.) The bad news is that as it turns out our home has stairs! Who bough…oh yeah it was me again. As the night goes on my body gets stiffer…where is that A535?

*I did forget to put on sunscreen, as a result my face and shoulders look like a red delicious apple. Next week I must make sure I add sunscreen to my list of things to do.

BTW…On our route David noticed a bicycle shop and decided that we should buy new bikes. His reasoning: we need to be more active. What? We are going out in the next few days to buy ourselves some new wheels. Personally I think it is because David does not want to “walk/run” beside me as I train, instead he has a unrealistic dream of “coaching” me while he rides while I run. Well I got new for him…

No comments: