Saturday, May 31, 2008

Life in the Bike Lane

Just a short comment today… I got a bike yesterday, and to be honest I am not the same carefree cyclist I was at the age of seven. I thought once you learned to ride a bike you never forgot. In my case that is “practically” true, but I would not use the word graceful to describe my cycling abilities. In my current situation I have a difficult time keeping the bike and myself straight and upright; the bike I kind of wobble down the road. To top it off I am a chicken when it comes to biking near traffic on the busy highways. Is it gauche to ride on the sidewalks if you are 34? Hmm... I thought as much. My last complaint is the bruises on my butt. OUCH! Comfy saddle my ass. (I knew I should have spent my money on a flat screen TV instead; at least my ass would be much happier. Maybe a little bigger, but at least it wouldn’t hurt so much.)

I have wanted a bike for a long time. I was too afraid that my butt would be swallowed up by the saddle seat and all the public would see is my bum with a bike rod sticking up into it. Thanks to my surgery and my weight loss I feel more confident to take to the streets on two wheels. Isn't it funny how much I held myself back because of my weight? Besides the butt-bruise-discomfort-issue I feel so free and light spinning down the road. Yeah I am still on the back roads mind you, but I still feel good never the less.

3 comments:

Ang said...

"I was too afraid that my butt would be swallowed up by the saddle seat and all the public would see is my bum with a bike rod sticking up into it."
Oh gosh you made me LOL w/ that. I feel the same way! You are doing fabulous and you look great, I love the new picture!!

Anonymous said...

Amy! Wow, girl! I was gone a week and LOOK what you accomplished!
I'm cheering for you!
Judi

Jenn said...

lmfao! you crack me up! i've just spent about an hour reading your blog and i love it! you are such an inspiration! i love how you tell it how it is and keep it humorous!