Friday, January 4, 2008

Happy 3 Month Anniversary!

Anniversaries mean a lot to me. Much to David’s chagrin I celebrate everything. In translation that usually involves him having to “celebrate” by shopping, and me “celebrating” by receiving.

Me: David do you know what today is?

Little beads of sweat start to form on his brow, and his eyes start to fixate like a deer unable to move away from certain tragedy, because he knows what is coming next he just doesn’t know what form it will take.

David: What’s today?
Amy: You don’t know? (My voice starts to crack. David’s head starts to throb.)

I should stop here and save the man, because it could be anything! It could be the anniversary of our first kiss. The anniversary of the first day we moved in together. The anniversary of day he asked me to marry him. It could be the anniversary we bought our first home; you get the idea. My memory is long, and David failed to invest in a calendar, so sometimes he gets blindsided. The worse one for David is our wedding anniversary. I will say up front he has never forgotten our wedding anniversary. I just throw him curve balls every chance I get.

David: Hey Amy do you know what tomorrow is?
Me: Yeah, but it is no big deal.

Now he looks confused and tired, because he has spent countless nights unable to sleep, because he was trying to plan our perfect anniversary.

Me: We don’t have to do anything big to celebrate; let’s just do something small.
David: Okay.

The problem was my definition of something “small”. For my part it meant I will get David something small to show I am thinking about him, and I will make him dinner. For David’s part it should be business as usual. Unfortunately for him he thought small meant small. He scrapped his “big” idea which would have been fine, and went for “small” which was not fine. We had been married for a few years before David caught on to my definition of “small” in regards to our anniversary.


2008 will be our thirteen wedding anniversary, and we will probably have a “small” celebration. David will spend sleepless nights planning how to shower me with tokens of love, and I will make him his favorite chicken dinner. Everyone will be happy.

January 3rd is my three month anniversary for being banded. I have lost 43 pounds. I am celebrating the day by working out. The question is: does David know it is an anniversary day? Hmmm… should I tell him or let the poor guy get some sleep?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you really? Have you ever thought about filling up an entire calender with all these events? That way David can just wake up in the morning, loosen up his weight bearing ball and chain on his ankle, and JUST KNOW WHAT DAY IT WAS?! lol this is too funny, and I can already see david's face whenever you ask him that simple little question "do you know what day it is today?"

Are you sure we're related? Oh no wait nevermind, thats something you've been trying to convince me of for years, that most likely the most probable solution is we're not.
LOL