Friday, December 7, 2007

Confessions of a Cheater

I have to confess to you all that I have cheated on a dear friend yesterday. It all started when my “check engine” light went on in my car. I took my white VW beetle in for repair like any responsible owner would. I thought it would be an easy fix, but it turned out to be a complicated three day job. Marsha (yes that is my car’s name.) was going to be in the shop until Friday. The folks at Volkswagen were so nice about the delay that they offered me a loaner car for my troubles. I took them up on their offer because I did have places to go and people to see. I got to the dealership and they gave me the keys to the loaner car, which was a new Jetta. What are the odds it was parked right next to Marsha? I actually felt guilt as I got into the loaner car. I looked over to my sweet little bug and I promised that I would return, and there is no other car that I loved more than her. (I said this in my head…thank goodness, but you get the idea.)

You see for as long as I can remember I have loved the VW beetle. I have always wanted one. When I got one; I said it was the only car I will ever drive from here on out. My next car is going to be a VW convertible beetle. It is the plan, and it is a solid plan. As long as VW makes them; I will buy them.

I am on my way to Langley which is 60 km from Chilliwack. I am running 45 minutes behind schedule. I get on the freeway, and give the Jetta a little gas…and I start to FLY! It is just me, my mp3 player, and the road! I am cruising at 160 km an hour and I don’t even notice. Whoops! I am alive and I know it is just a car, but I feel something as I drive down the freeway…freedom. I want this car! As much as I love Marsha she isn't able go this fast. (FYI- I did stop speeding, but for that few minutes that I was speeding it was heaven!)

After shopping with my dear friend Lara I headed for home. It took all the strength I had not to haul ass to Nova Scotia in the Jetta. I think I could have driven all night.

As I was driving I reflected on my stubbornness- all this time I had been limiting myself. I can be very narrow-minded in my thinking. I am not saying that is a totally bad thing, but it can inhibit me from experiencing more flavours of the world. As I was speeding down the highway I began to wonder what I have been missing out on? Now I want to go out and see how all the other VW cars measure up. (Hey I am still brand loyal.) I decided from here on out that I would open up my mind, and try new things... you know become adventurous.

As I pulled into my driveway (I did go home.) I also thought this: it is important to know that some things are "my absolute favourites" without a doubt. I made a list: My sweet daughter, she is one of a kind. I love her so much. Just her saying to me, “Good morning Mom,” in the morning completes my day. My husband, I already know that I have the best there is. He is an amazing man! My family…I don’t think I change them out anyway. My friends, they are each special to me, and can not be replaced. Lastly, Starbucks coffee- I tried other brands already, and I know that I am drinking the Cadillac of coffees, so why change?

As for Marsha and me we will be together for a long time. I am going to keep Marsha until she doesn’t want to run anymore. It still makes me happy to be in a little white bubble bouncing down the freeway. I liked the Jetta, but I LOVE not having car payments more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Marsha. But I know what you mean about the Jetta, Doug had a Jetta, and I had fun even though I was the passenger, can't even imagine what it would have been like if I were the driver! But I think it has something to do with VW in itself.

Well does marsha know about you and the Jetta?