Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I Never Gave Up...And See I Got the Man!

I believe if you work hard; anything can be conquered. As an adult I carry that belief with me today. I literally believe “Anything is possible.” Don’t get me wrong my beliefs have caused me to have bumpy roads. When it would be in my best interest to give up and just go with the flow I keep fighting, and at times my stubbornness can make things a little more complicated.

Whenever I think something is impossible I remember the story of how David and I fell in love:

It was the summer of 1990. I had just turned 16, and I was having the time of my life. My best friend Jenny had a friend and his name was David. He was 21, and he was in university. He was blonde, blue eyed, tanned; just the sight of him stopped my heart. He was kind to me, but because of my age I was almost invisible to him.

I spent the summer at Jenny’s house, because my parents were out of the province. Just my luck Jenny had a pool; talk about an opportunity! David and his friends would come by to swim. (There is a smile on my face as I write this; I just thought you ought to know.) Jenny was aware that I liked David, so bless her heart she made sure that I was able to hang out with him. Sometimes he noticed me, but he was concerned about our age difference, therefore he would “make fun of me.” Throughout the summer I was becoming more determined to get him to like me.

One night Jenny, David, and I were hanging out; it was dinner time. I knew David would be going home soon, but I didn’t want him to. I offered to buy everyone pizza for dinner. Everyone agreed pizza would be a fabulous idea. I went to the bathroom to do a happy dance! While in the bathroom I heard David tell Jenny, “I wish she would just buy the pizza, and then leave.” My heart was broken. I stayed in the bathroom trying to figure out what to do next. Should I go out and confront him, or pretend I didn’t hear what he said? I decided that I would follow through with my promise. I would eat dinner, and then go home. I was wrong about David; he didn’t like me.

I came out of the bathroom and ordered the pizza. We decided to order ham and pineapple. I acted like I hadn’t heard what Meanie David had said, and tried to have a good time. The pizza arrived. We began to eat, but for some reason my pineapple kept falling off my pizza; I couldn't keep even one piece on my slice. Jenny was having no problems with her pineapple. However, Meanie David was also dropping his pineapple. For some reason we both notice that we were both dropping our pineapple and we found this hilarious. Our pineapple started dropping in sync; it was hopeless. It must’ve been magic pineapple because David started being nice to me! He even sat beside me, and his skin against mine was electric. I could’ve died right there.

Jenny and I continued to hang out with the David and the guys. He started paying attention to me! He was charming and sweet. I decided to make my move. I got all dressed up, and went over to his house. My intentions were to tell him that I had a massive crush on him. ( I am shaking my head as I write this.) He opened the door with a smile and welcomed me in. Good start. We made small talk for about an hour, as this is the first time we had been alone. My heart was pounding; what was I thinking? Here goes nothing:

(I totally remember this conversation…)

Me: I have to tell you something…
David: Really?
Me: I have a REALLY big crush on you. I mean I REALLY like you.
David: Wow… you are impatient aren’t you?
Me: What do you mean?
David: If you had waited a little longer I was thinking of asking you on date.
(OH MY GOD HE LIKES ME TOO!)
Me: How come you never told me!
David: I was going to…next week.

I did it! I did it! I did it! We talked for an hour. I don’t remember what we talked about. He walked me home and gave me a hug. Sometimes if I try really hard I can still feel that first hug.

I started to brag to my friends that a university guy was TOTALLY into me! I brought one of them to David’s house; you know to show off. He came to the door, and he looked good. He was dressed up, his hair was done, and he even smelled good. Score one for David on first impressions.

Me: Hi David
David: What are you doing here?
(What am I doing here? I am the love of your life remember?)

Me: I just thought that I would introduce you to my friend Lisa.
David: I am sorry; I can’t talk now. I have to go out.
Me: Where?
David: I have a date
(A WHAT? Are you kidding? I thought you liked me.)

Now this is where it gets sad….
Me: Can we just come in for a minute?
David: No
Me: I want to show Lisa your pool table; she has never seen one.
David: I doubt that is true.
Me: She comes from Antarctica, and they don’t have pool tables there. It is true…tell him Lisa!
Lisa: Okay let’s go Amy.
David: Bye Amy.

The door shut.
Lisa: Yup…he REALLY likes YOU!
Me: Shut up!

Needless to say I was in a foul mood for the rest of the day; poor Lisa. I made a promise that I would never see that jerk David again! The next day the gang was hanging out at the Jerk’s house. Jenny called and begged me to come over. After three calls I finally went over, but just to yell at him. When I got there they were playing pool, ouch! David comes up to me and tells me that he arranged last night’s date before my "confession of love", and he was sorry for embarrassing me in front of my friend. Just then the phone rang; it was his date from last night! He told her that he couldn’t talk, and then he came back to me!

For the rest of the summer he teased me like a brother would tease a little sister. I think that was mainly because David had understandable issues liking someone so much younger. We had a few dates, which were magical; he was always a perfect gentleman. On August 16 he asked me to be his girl friend. He was really nervous, and it was sweet.

It has been over 17 years; we have not been apart since that day. When he walks in the room my heart still does a flip, when he sits beside me there is still electricity. I don’t think I will ever love another man as much as I love David.

What seemed impossible to everyone else; was doable to me. I knew I would end up with David. He told me that he fell in love with me while we were eating the ham and pineapple pizza. If I had given up when my heart was breaking in the bathroom, which was my lowest point I would not have David today. That would be the biggest tragedy of my life, for no one loves me more than he does.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS STORY!!!! Thank you for sharing it. :)

Anonymous said...

I totally never knew that was how you and david hooked up. That is so funny. I just remember being little, and David was there. You've told me many stories, I'm trying to figure out why you've decided to keep me in the shadows about this one.