Monday, December 17, 2007

What I Did Last Weekend.

For the last few weeks I have been planning a Christmas Open House for my neighbours and new friends. I had a hard time deciding if I was actually going to host this party. My family was on stand-by minute to minute. Yes…no…maybe. "Well now I bought Christmas bathroom towels, so I guess we have to have the party. Hey look the invitations are 60% off; it’s like it’s meant to be!" I decided to host a party based on the price of cards and bathroom towels. After a lot of procrastination I wrote out the invitations to our bash, but to be perfectly honest I didn’t know all of our neighbour’s names, so I left the cards blank. I hand delivered the invitations door-to-door. I used to sell vacuum cleaners door-to-door, so I won’t lie to you; it was a little nerve racking talking to strangers, and inviting to my home nonetheless.

I was very lucky David and Holly supported my crazy party idea. We shopped for the perfect plastic Christmas table covering, Christmas tree ornaments, napkins, cups, and everything else you might possibly need for a party. I even bought mistletoe; I don’t know what in the world I was thinking; meet’em and kiss’em? Wow this is a friendly house! You’ll be happy to know that we put the mistletoe in the far corner, and to my knowledge it wasn’t used. I have always wanted to have a Christmas party that included mistletoe, so this party qualified.

I was positive that only a few people would show up, but to my happy surprise over 50 people made an appearance! Our home was packed, and I was thrilled. They ate our food and drank our wine; it was the best Christmas present I have ever received. Speaking of presents, our guest brought so many wonderful gifts-it was amazing! I am glad we opened our home to our neighbours, and friends. We are new to the area, so now we feel a little more connected and at home. I finally get what Christmas is about. It is about people, and sharing the season with them. I can’t wait to host next year’s open house.

As for the mistletoe it has gone to good use. David has started to carry it around the house with him, and wherever I am the mistletoe happens to be. I am so flattered. He says that maybe he is abusing it, but I told him that it won’t be considered abused until May.

No comments: