Monday, December 3, 2007

Snow


My first roommate loved Christmas. It was a good thing that we were poor and could not have afforded a fake tree, or I would have been forced to trim that sucker in September! When she moved out she did get a fake tree. I bet her $100.00 that she could not keep it up all year long. She happily took me up on the wager. I almost lost the bet, but due to personal reasons she had to take the tree down in March. If $100.00 hadn’t been worth a million dollars to me back then I might have paid her for her effort. If I see her this year I will make the bet again, and who knows? Don’t misunderstand me I like Christmas; I would just like to decorate for Christmas later than Halloween.

However, the other thing my roommate loved was snow. As soon as the colder weather fell upon us I would wake up to hear her humming “Let it Snow” in the kitchen. Maybe it was because of her passion or her love for snow, but I found myself liking snow a very small amount. I started to appreciate the first snow flakes falling on the ground. I liked it when we would go out onto the balcony, and catch snow flakes on our tongues. Sometimes we would walk around the neighbourhood just as it was starting to snow. It wasn’t it all bad.

My fondness for snow was very short lived. I would start humming “Let it rain”. I hate to give you the impression that I am insensitive but I have reasons. We did not have any transportation at the time. This meant that we had to take bus to work and school everyday. Waiting for the bus in a skirt in freezing temperatures was bad enough, but sometimes the bus would just drive by without stopping! For those of us who live in the lower-mainland where I live; can tell you waiting sixty minutes for a bus is no fun! It also meant that the roads were icy and therefore slippery, which always meant a few bruises on my tailbone from falling on ice. Snow also gets dirty really quickly; it goes from pure white to dirty brown, and who wants to look at that? In my opinion snow makes easy things complicated.

What is the point of my rant? Well this weekend I experience one of the biggest snow dumps of my recent memories. Yesterday it snowed about a foot and half. Now for those of you that live further east; I know what you’re thinking…”What is the big deal? It snows that much over lunch.” I sat here yesterday pissed off at the snow, because I could not go for my daily walk. It was snowing so heavy that I couldn’t see through the snow. I did venture outside to see if I could go for a romantic walk with David, but it was useless. More importantly I had an appointment today with my surgeon who did my lap-band, but I think his office decided to close up shop. Now I have to wait to get a fill*. Maybe I am the only one who has issues with snow, and the rest of you are humming along with my roommate.

I decided that I am moving somewhere warm. What is the point of venting if you don’t do anything about it? I can’t move for another ten years or so, because it wouldn’t be fair to Holly. I will wait until she moves out; then David and I are heading for the sun and surf. While you all are making snow angels I will be making sand angels. I can withstand all the snow dumps Chilliwack throws at me if I know that it won’t be forever.

To my sweet roommate: I love your Christmas spirit and thank you for not giving up on me as a grinch. Each December when I trim my house and hang my outdoor lights I think of you and smile. I could have never asked for a better friend.


Below is a picture of David and me at Newport Beach in California. Look how happy we are with the sunshine around us. (David: you are gorgeous~ I love you so much!) This picture
was taken five days before my surgery.
*Fill: You need to have restriction around your stomach to feel full. As you lose weight the band becomes loose, and needs to be tightened. When you lose restriction you have a harder time losing weight, because you don’t feel full as easily when the band was tight. To tighten the band the doctor injects saline into the band. The procedure does not hurt and is not dangerous; it is necessary for the lap-band to keep doing its job
Footnote: I called my doctor this afternoon and he was in fact open, so I did get my fill after all. This has made me very happy.

No comments: