Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Who Are They?

This just happened no more than five minutes ago. I was in the kitchen with David while he was doing the dishes. We were discussing the merits of geometry. I hate geometry so much. I don’t know why it’s important to know how far a tree is going to cast its shadow at noon. (If you need to know about shadow casting for your profession or your hobby my apologies.) So our conversation went something like this:


Me: I am very good at math thank you very much.
David: Well...yeah but you sucked at geometry.
Me: Geometry is not math! You don’t need geometry for anything useful.
David: You need it for building bridges and things.
Me: When is the last time you built a bridge? Is there bridge building on your calendar next week and you forgot to it jot down?
David: No.
Me: See, geometry was a bloody waste of time. It was because they thought it would be a good idea to torture students.
David: Who are “they”?
Me: You know “them”. You know “those guys”. You know “they.”
David: Oh “THEY.” (Nodding his head; finally getting who “they” were.) I want to know “who” is passing on everything “they” say.
Me: Ooooo that is a good point. I wonder why what “they” say gets around so much…


When did “they” become so powerful, and who are “they”? I can’t remember them as a child, so I think “they” are fairly new to the scene. I am certain “they” were not around when I was five, because when I was wearing my green cord pants with my red and yellow top, and my Mary Jane's to round out my outfit I was not worried out what “they” would think.

Does anyone out there know who “they” are? Are they are group, a committee, a panel, or what?

I catch myself quoting them all the time…Well, “they” say this…and "they" say that...

I also buy into the dumb ideas “they” feed me… If “they” say citronella-yellow is the new black this season who am I to argue?

I also really care about what “they” think. If my house is a little messy I have to clean it because… What will “they” think if “they” see my house this way? I guess on a positive note “they” motivate me to keep my house clean.

Am I nuts? I don’t even know who “they” are. I find that I am not the only one who is victim to “they”. If you ask someone who “they” are, sometimes the person will tell you “they” are everybody. Wow I guess it is a committee!

In our society we have a bad case of “they-syndrome”. I have it too. I care too much what “they” think, and for the wrong reasons. If you are like me, and you have "they-syndrome" you can do the following things to break the cycle:

1. Stop spreading the word of what “they” say.
2. Stop caring about what “they” think
3. If you get invited to become a “them” or a “they”; decline and stay a “you”.
4. Don’t do things based on what “they” want you to do. This just encourages "them". Just be true to yourself. Trust me you will be much happier.

In the past I always thought that if I lost weight "they" would like me better, or "they" would accept me. What I have come to realize that "they" were always "me". I was the one criticizing my looks, my actions, or my beliefs. Now that I know my thinking was flawed I have to stand up and trust myself, love myself, and most importantly accept myself. It is time for me to start feeling good in my own skin. As for today, I am feeling okay. I am wearing a blue top and black pants that do not match. (My five year old self would be proud.) My hair isn't styled, because I am going to workout, and I am proud of myself. In the end that is all that matters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog. "They" I know them and can usually find them in my head holding important board meetings. HA. I found your blog through LB forum and it is very inspiring. I have been hesitant to schedule LB surgery; "they" have been stalling. This is not me! I want to go for it all; life is for living. Thanks again. gilllee2/Lee Ann