Thursday, November 20, 2008

22..20...18...16...

It has been eluding me for over ten years now, but I knew it couldn’t stay away forever. SIZE 14 REG is back in town. The important part is the REG, which means it isn’t a plus size. Right now there are balloons and confetti falling from the ceiling of my walk-in-closet. It does make it more challenging to get dressed in, but it is totally worth it. I am not wearing any plus size clothing today-nope not a stitch; even my panties are REG size. Uh-oh here comes more confetti bye, bye granny panties.

The day of my surgery I waddled into the hospital wearing a size 22 everything. Wow, was I really that big? For me it has been a gradual weight loss, so I really haven’t noticed REALLY big changes. That being said, it is hard to ignore having to buy 4 pant sizes smaller.


Excuse me miss where do you keep the regular size clothing? You see I haven’t been out of the plus size department in over ten years, so I don’t know where to find it. Is it by fragrances or handbags?”

The first time I ventured into a non-plus size store I was so nervous. I felt as if I was committing a crime of some sort. My heart was beating rapidly, my palms were sweating, and the store’s bright lights were making me feel dizzy. Why such a serve reaction? It was simple, and yet very twisted thinking. I thought that the salespeople were going to ask me to leave. I just knew they were going to tell me that I was too fat and I would have to go back to a plus size store. It was so bad that the first time I went in to a store that was not plus size I could not bring myself to try on any clothing. (I only lasted two minutes inside.) The second time I did try on some clothing, but I only tried on the biggest sizes they had. I wasn’t ready to make a commitment to smaller sizes just yet.

After more therapy and a lot of Starbucks liquid courage I did go into stores and I claimed the clothing sizes that belonged to me.

I went to Macy’s last week and I was walking by the plus size department, which is at the back of this particular Macy’s store. I remember thinking that, “I will never have to shop at the back of this store again. Now I get to shop in the whole damn store, and that is the way it should be.”

I also passed by a Lane Bryant store in the mall. I looked in and saw my former self going through the racks, looking for a size 22/24. Then I caught a glimpse of my size 14 self in the refection from the store front window, and I couldn’t help but smile and think: You Look Marvellous Darling! The Best Is Yet To Come!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I see some of that confetti falling. Congratulations!! Good job!! Well earned too. Enjoy your success.

Sandi said...

I am so glad you are back to blogging..... you are so entertaining..... hey that is a compliment!!! I go for my consult with the surgeon on monday,

way to go on the size 14's

Judi said...

YES! As a former tight 22 girl to a nicely fitting 14 girl---I get it!!! This is exactly how it all feels! In fact, I'm positive you'll be hearing about Lane Bryant & Avenue declaring bankruptcy pretty soon now that I'm not longer one of their customers!
Love love your style!
Judi

Amy said...

All of your kind words fill me with warm and fuzzies. Congrats Sandi...it will be the best thing you ever did