Sunday, November 30, 2008

Shake Rattle and Roll, but Mostly Shake!

This blog is turning into a “Bitching Session”. I am terribly sorry about that.

In my previous post I wrote that I wasn’t feeling well, because I had stupidly taken myself off of my stabilizing med due to its side-effects. A few days ago it was my moment of truth. I told my doctor that I had assigned myself to be an “Arm-Chair-Prescription-Dispensing-I-Know-What-is-Better-for-Me-Even-Though-I-Did Not go to Med-School” pharmacist. I found that confessing was a tough pill to swallow.

My Doctor: How are you feeling?
Me: Not so good.
MD: Why?
Me: Because I hate the mood stabilizing pill that I have take.

(In my head I was thinking that YOU MAKE me take, but I wanted to be invited back to my next session.) I continued…

The drug has too many side effects. I really hate taking those nasty pills, so instead of taking them I put them down my garbage disposable.

MD: I see.
Me: I don’t see why I have to take so many pills anyway.

(* Besides this stupid mood stabilizer I am also on 6 other pills. It is quite a cocktail.)

MD: ….

She gives me nothing but a stare.

At this point I should have tried to stare her down. I could have given her a cold icy glare. (I just asked David and he said that I can’t do an icy glare. I guess that will be something I’ll work on.) Instead I fidgeted in my seat and looked out the window. I knew that I had I lost; there was nothing left to say. I would be taking ALL of my meds. Still she was kind, and gave me a chance to plead my case anyway.

MD: What side-effects are you having?

Here was my chance! I started listing the side-effects. I gave some examples, and I might have exaggerated just a tiny bit; you know for dramatics. .

MD: I am sorry but you have no other options at this point.

I never believed that I would actually get away with my crime. I knew that I was guilty. I was pretty certain that I was destined to take this particular med. I think all I wanted to get is absolution for throwing my meds down the garbage disposal.

But wait I forgot one side-effect!

This was my back-up, “only to be used in case of an emergency” side effect. I had to play this card very carefully. I had to be clear, concise, and very accurate, no dramatics this time.

I had never shared this particular side effect with anyone in the medical community. I was afraid that I would be labelled “C-R-A-Z-Y”- too late. I really did think it was just a side-effect; I put up with so many already it was hard to distinguish side-effects from real issues!

Me: I have these seizer like episodes.

I will tell you guys what happens:

1.) A split second before the seizer happens I feel it coming.

2.)I don’t roll around on the ground. The seizers happen mainly in my upper body. I jerk my head and torso back and forth, and my arms go flying.

3.)I do feel like I am going to fall, but my feet manage to keep planted on the ground.

4.)The seizers last for 10 to 15 seconds.

5.)These episodes seem to happen when I am overly stimulated, and in certain lighted areas

6.)I don’t lose consciousness.

7.)I think the “after-seizers” are the worst. It feels like someone stuck a battery up my bum, and volts of electricity goes through my body. These seizers last for one or two seconds. I find these episodes quite annoying.

She started looking at my chart.

Please be the meds, please be the meds, or even be the bipolar.Today I am not so lucky.

MD: Sounds like epilepsy to me; I am quite sure of it.
Me: ... (Now it was my turn to stare. Take that!)
MD: We will have to run test.

(Of course we always have to run test!)

Me: Is it the drugs? Is it the bipolar?
MD: None of the drugs I am giving you would cause this to happen.
Me: Could I be faking this? Is it psychosomatic?
MD: No what you described is epilepsy. The fact that you know the seizure is going to happen just a second or two before it happens is called an epileptic aura. Many epileptics know that they are going to have a seizer moments before the seizure happens

Epileptic aura- Say what? - I thought the fact that I knew it was going to happen meant that it was psychosomatic!

OMG, you have got to be kidding me. I have had enough. I would like to talk to the management, or whoever is in charge of fairness. I have been diagnosed with bipolar, which has given me other mental illnesses. Talk about “free with purchase gifts!” I was born with Cerebral Palsy and now this Epilepsy thing! Forgive me but I just have to say it: “F word, F word, F word”! (At this point I feel I am entitled to drop a few F bombs.)

I was advised to stop driving. Duh! Yes, definitely, I don’t want to cause harm. But now my freedom is severly limited. Oh stop it. That is why you have rain boots; see it was fate. The good news is: when the doctors figure this mess out they will be able to medicate me with MORE drugs, and then I will be able to drive. (Clap, clap, clap!)

UPDATE

We found out what is possibly causing the seizers: It is my Cerebral Palsy. Apparently 1 in 3 children get it, but then they grow out of it. Then there are adults who get it; sadly they don’t grow out of it. At least it is nothing too dramatic. The doctors will be able to medicate me. I still have to do the tests. They are going to induce some episodes and study them. I wish them luck with that, because I mainly get seizures in my kitchen. HA!

You know that saying: “At least I have my health.”
I changed it: to:

At least I have a sexy husband, a wonderful daughter, a nice home filled with my favorite things; I am surrounded by tons of people that love me, and three Starbucks within walking distance.”

1 comment:

Judi said...

OOOOH! I hope you find something....anything...that will help you with all of this! It sounds horrible. Yes, counting our blessings is always helpful. But, even the best blessings sometimes can't help what burdens us. Our health is not something to be taken lightly. You've worked so hard....let's hope this is just a little bump!
Oh, and don't worry about bitchful blogging....your readers get it!
I'm thinking of you!
Judi