Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Coming Un-Hinged

I don’t know if you remember this but I started to scrapbook last year. I like to think I am pretty good at it, because each time I review my handy work I get happy.

When I was starting out I had to stock up on supplies like paper, cutters, glue, stickers, and an album to store all my masterpiece pages that I had created. (For those of you who do not scrapbook this might not make sense, but just nod like you understand what I am writing about. I promise it will only take a moment.) When I purchased my scrapbook I purchased the kind that is bound together by hinges. I also stocked up on refill pages for my scrapbook. This year I come to find out that everyone got together and decided not to mass produce any more hinged scrapbooks. Not only that, but the stores decided that since the manufactures didn’t want to make them then they didn’t want to sell them. The hinged scrapbooks are gone, all gone- except on Ebay! Yeah only those stupid sellers want over $60 for an out-of-style book. (That is not including shipping.) I need one more hinged book to hold my overflow of extra paper. What was I supposed to do?

I have a fancy scrapbooking store down the street from me. I don’t usually go in there because this store is so expensive that it usually requires me to get a second mortgage out on my house just to enter the store. But I was so desperate I thought, ‘What the hell!’

Guess what? They had ONE left! And even better news it was on clearance for $19.99! Screw you Ebay!

This was turning out to be a great day. As I was skipping out to my car I looked up, and what should I see? A candy shop that’s what. Not just any old candy shop, but a British tea and sweet shop. ‘Where have you been all of my life?’

How could I have not seen this place before? The shop only takes up one entire city lot; it is that huge.

When I walked in the first thing I noticed was the smell of baked goods. That is because there is an English style bakery tucked into the back of the store. I didn’t stay in the bakery area too long. I was weak, and I didn’t want to give into temptation.

However, on the other side of the shop there was a candy store. It was beautiful. There were pretty jars of candy along the back wall just behind the counter waiting for me to take them all home. There were all different flavours, shapes, and colors; I was in candy trance.

Snap, snap, snap…where’d I go? Sorry I was just reliving the moment.

I didn’t buy any of that delicious looking jarred candy, but I did buy some interesting British chocolate. I picked the chocolate based on the name such as, Double Decker, and Wispa. I also got chocolate covered Turkish Delights; let’s just say I wasn’t delighted. Blah.

2 comments:

Diz said...

You did really well. I'd've scarfed down some serious baked goodies!

JennBand08 said...

So funny to hear you mention this about hinged scrapbooks. I was @ Michael's craftstore today and thought to myself, wow.. they hardly carry any scrapbooks any more. Aha.. discontinued? Seriously? What are we supposed to use now? < head tilt >