Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Me and Cone Head

My dog has a very good life. I feed him, brush him, walk him, and play with him. I even rub his belly until he laughs. Yes it is true; dogs do laugh, and my dog is very ticklish. Let’s not forget I spend a fortune on toys for him.

Yes my dog has a good life, but he has earned it. I can’t complain about him. Even as a puppy he refrained from chewing up slippers, peeing on the carpet, and eating the garbage. He can even ring a bell to tell you that he has to go outside to go pee.

My only real complaint is that he likes to greet people at the door with a bark, and a jump. It is my fault. I thought it was cute when he was just a little guy. I am working hard to train him out of this habit.

My dog is so even tempered that I am training him to be a therapeutic dog. I know that he will LOVE working in hospitals and care homes. He likes people.

My dog likes to take care of me. Whenever I am in pain my dog knows it. He spends a great deal of his time watching over me as it is, but if I am in any physical pain my dog will not leave my side. I mean that literally. Then how does he eat? How does he take care of his own ‘business’? David told me that my dog will leave when I am in a deep sleep to quickly run, and do his own ‘errands’, and then he will race back to lay at my bedside. Poor puppy, I feel bad for him because I am always getting hurt. He probably never gets a good night sleep.

My dog’s name is Simon, but last week I renamed him Cone Head based on the fact that we had to put a puppy cone on him, because he was licking one of his paws to the point where it was getting infected. I figured it was my turn to look after Cone Head, so I stayed by his side. (Well actually he set up
camp next to me, but that is beside the point.) I have been living with a cone in my lap for the last week. When ever the TV reception isn’t as good as I want it to be I adjust the dog’s head to one side. It seems to be working.

Tomorrow I am going in for my port revision surgery. There may be pain involved. I can’t ask Cone Head to take care of me! I am
NOT asking the cat; you can forget about that. I know he will just try and steal something the minute I fall asleep. (I am watching you cat!)

Who am I kidding I know Simon will stay up, and worry about me, because he is my best friend. I am lucky to have a best friend as good as Simon. People should take a lesson or two from their dogs. The world would be a better place if we treated people as good as our dogs treated us.

Wish me luck. Don’t worry about me too much; Simon has my back.

4 comments:

Robyn said...

I hope all goes well with your surgery!

lori said...

good luck! and let everyone take care of you not just simon.

Judi said...

Port revision surgery??? Yuk! What is that and how did you know you needed it???
Hope you recuperate quick!
(and I hope there's not too much pain involved!)
Judi

Emily said...

Arent animals the best friends ever!! How did your surgery go? You have been in my thoughts!