Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bombing The FCC!

Due to my minor surgery major recovery I was held up in my bedroom which became a make-shift hospital room. I didn’t mind too much, because there were benefits that my bedroom had that a hospital room didn’t. Instead of sleeping on those scratchy hospital sheets my bed was fitted with Egyptian 600 thread count cotton sheets, oh la la! But the main thing that I liked about my own room versus a hospital room is my TV. I have 600 channels of pure indulgence. Not only that but I have a DVR, which means if I dozed off while my favorite show is on I could rewind it when I woke up.

(If you’re in charge of a hospital I implore you to outfit your patient’s rooms with a flat screen TV, and a DVR. Let’s face it happy people heal faster.)

The hospitals do have one thing going for them-
adjustable beds. I had to waste all of my time, and energy propping up my pillows to get them just right. If I had the Craftmatic Adjustable bed this wouldn’t have been an issue. With a press of a button I would have perfect comfort. (I’d better copyright that.)

For a few years I have been begging David to get me a Craftmatic bed, but he hasn’t taken the bait yet. I think I better step up my campaign to get me one.
Craftmatic beds are not just for old people! (Do you think I should copyright that one too?)

After fussing with my pillows for an eternity I got down to some serious TV watching. Since there was nothing else to really do I was forced to
actually pay attention, and since I was actually paying attention I started to notice a lot of ‘bleeps’. Wait a minute aren’t 'bleeps' in place of swears? Why are there so many 'bleeps' on television?

I watch a lot of reality television-it’s my favorite. The contestants love to swear! I can’t figure it out the logic behind it. Why would you go on national TV and look so uneducated? F-bombs fly everywhere. If it were me I would do my very best to keep them in check.

Even Dr. Phil is bleeping. ‘That is one
bleeped up marriage.’ Oh come on now it is 3:00pm in the afternoon, and you are an educated man. I am sure your vocabulary includes more constructive adjectives to describe a bad marriage.

So when did it become okay to sink to the lowest common denominator? When did Dr. Phil decide that in order to make his point clear to the masses he would have to use foul language? I guess he was just
'bleeping' his way to higher ratings!

It is safe to assume that everyone has thrown some cuss words around. But it is also safe to assume most of us know when to turn it off. I don’t go to work and drop the f-bomb in front of my boss, or clients, because I would probably lose my job. Or would I?

Last week I called in to Yahoo and I spoke to a tech. He helped me with the website that I am building. He was great. He spent a lot of his time helping me. He became frustrated at times. After spending 20 minutes on the phone with me I guess he figured that we were close enough to start dropping ‘shits’ and ‘damns’, and 10 minutes later we were so tight that the f-bombs came rolling out. It didn’t bother me as much as it worried me. When and how did it become okay to swear at work?

I am not judging because I use the f-word in the most creative ways that it would make you blush. Some would say I have a gift. But I like to think I know when to turn it off. Am I being too hard on Dr. Phil, and my tech? After all they are human, and it’s our society that is tolerating it. Maybe someday soon the FCC will feel comfortable enough to stop bleeping out the ‘fuh-bleeps’. They are not fooling us; we all know what is behind the bleep. If you’re gonna swear stand up and be proud! No more bleeps!
Hell Yeah!

The FCC has deemed that there are only 7 words that are not suitable for TV.
One is the F bomb, one is shit, one is piss, and you will just have to figure out the rest, because I refuse to include them on my wholesome blog.

Please don’t misunderstand me I don’t mind swearing on television. My favorite show is The Sopranos, but I paid for the privilege of hearing Tony, and his crew chew up my TV set with their potty mouths. I just don’t know if Dr. Phil should lower himself to the same standards as Tony Soprano.

*One of the first incidents of foul language spoken on American television was uttered by James T. Kirk in 1965 when he said, ‘Hell.’ Leave it to him to go where no man had ever gone before.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I agree..the frequency with which swearwords are used is appalling to me. There are so many beautiful words that are falling by the wayside as people use cussing as descriptors of every situation. Not to mention it takes the sting out it when its an appropriate situation for a good cuss...

Anonymous said...

Very well written blog, Amy! I work with a lot of guys who use the "f"'in word right before a noun or verb, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a sentence! And that's in normal conversation! Makes them look really dumb, let me tell you.

And yes, the f-bomb should be saved for those situations that passionately tick us off. That is the only way it can really mean anything.

Karen