Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Yum-Yum-Yum!

Did you notice that Kentucky Fried Chicken changed their name to KFC? Of course you did. You would have to be living on another planet not have gotten that newsletter. Do you know why they thought changing their name was a good idea? You’d have to be dumber than a bag of rocks to not know the reason why. Now I feel bad; what if you didn’t know the reason why? Here I have gone and offended you. To make up for it I will give you the run down- the folks down at Kentucky Fried Chicken decided that if consumers forgot that their chicken was fried then maybe they, being the consumers would buy more. It works for me; if I don’t see the bad-for-me-word in the restaurant’s name then everything in the eating establishment must be good diet food, right?

I live in a small town that doesn’t have a KFC. We have a Kentucky FRIED Chicken. It is old school. We live so far out of the way that advertising executives didn’t find it necessary to spend money on changing something we already knew- that F stood for fried, or maybe those ad guys knew that we country folk wouldn’t care if our chicken was served up fried. We're big boned out here in the country.

I have a friend who loves to eat out, and to try new things. When she comes to Canada she always wants to eat somewhere ‘Canadian’. We don’t have too many authentic Canadian restaurants, so I am running out of places to take her to. I got a brilliant idea, because she loves food; more to the point she loves junk food in particular. I decided to take her to Kentucky FRIED Chicken. She was thrilled. I don’t know if there is a donut, piece of pie or cake, bag of chips, plate of cookies, or cheese burger that she has not sampled, so it was only logical that we went and got some saturated chicken fat to add to her palate.

We ordered our food, and we were forced to wait 11 minutes while our fresh batch of chicken was being FRIED up; we (she) talked about food. I learned that my friend loves to dunk her chicken in her gravy. She orders her steak medium-well done (not well done-medium). This is so the steak juices are the right color, and consistency to dip her French fries into. I learned the last two times her favorite steak house had failed to meet her expectations-Bummer. For the 11 minutes pre-meal, and 50 minutes during the meal she was able to engage me in a conversation about importance of dipping meat into various juices and/or gravies. I learned I was way out of my league when it came to food; we could never go head-to-head.

But I also learned that I am a sugar addict. Last weekend I pulled off my biggest sugar consumption since I was banded. I guess used my friend’s visit to be free-for-all. Where to begin?

I am just going to list my sins:

Thursday:
Kentucky FRIED Chicken
Big Honking container of mash potatoes
One bite of corn

One really high calorie decant donut
(Thursday was my really good day.)

Friday:

Grande Starbucks Mocha
Starbucks Ginger Molasses Cookie
Hot Fudge Brownie Sundae (I did request no whipping cream; that’s got to count for something.)
1 ½ Gourmet cupcakes with each of these cupcakes weighing in with a calorie count of 700 each. That is 1,000 calories

Saturday:
Half of a stale donut
Bag of m&ms
One movie size box of Reece’s Pieces

On Sunday I slept; only I didn’t turn into a butterfly the next day. (Reference to “The Hungry Caterpillar" written by Eric Carle) I just got an upset stomach, and week-end after guilt.

As I said I am a sugar addict. I am three days into recovery. Oh well…At least I am aware, and isn’t that the first step!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I felt like I was reading my own life story. I have been eating candy that we bought last week at Costco. 3 big bags in fact. I went hog wild one day and the last two I have controlled myself and not eaten any. But you are right about the guilt. I was beating myself up big time. Onward and upward.

Kathy said...

I just reread my entry and it looked as though I was confessing to eating 3 big bags of candy. I meant that we bought 3 bags and I ate some not all of it. Whew!! I started sweating when I thought of the calories involved in all 3 bags.