Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It's so Cold in Here!

I spent the Turkey holidays with my in-laws. The usual fare of turkey, mash potatoes, and apple pie found its way down to my tummy. It was a good day for me; it was a bad day for the turkey.

Since we live a bit away from David’s parents we decided to stay over for the weekend. I love staying over at his parent’s house. I have a strong feeling that my mother-in-law was employed as a manager at a five star hotel in a previous life. She is always fussing about making sure that David, and I have the perfect stay. Our hotel suite- also known to others as the ‘guest room’ has little touches of things that she knows that we will find pleasing. There is even a weight room down the hall from our suite, but just like in any regular hotel stay; we didn’t use it. The towels in the bathroom are big, and ultra fluffy. She even fills the bathroom with little soaps, and shampoos. A free breakfast is served every morning. I'm not talking about the kind of ‘continental breakfast’ that only consist of toast, and little cereal boxes of Special K. Everything is made to order. The only thing that is missing is the ‘guest comment card’ (…and most importantly, the bill.)

If you are ever in her neck of the woods you should book the guest room. I recommend doing it over the holidays, because she also serves a holiday meal to die for with every holiday stay. But book early-space is limited!

If you read my blog you know that I seem to find something not to my exact satisfaction. Sorry David's mom.

(Feel sorry for my waiters, and waitresses. One time while dining out my table had been waiting for the waitress to come back, and refill our drinks. She didn’t. The clock kept ticking, and the ice kept melting. I finally got so fed up that I scooped all the cups off of the table, and carried them to the soda fountain machine where I helped myself. I just want to be clear we had be waiting for over 20 minutes for a drink refill, and I’m not going to even mention how long we waited for our food. The waitress FINALLY returned, I told her my ‘funny story’, which really neither of us found to be very funny, the manager found it to be less funny, because our meals were on the house. Maybe that is why it took so long to get them to us? But when service people do meet my expectations they get a whooper of a tip!)

Here was the rub- the house was cold. No let me restate that; the house was freezing. My nose was cold, my toes were cold, even my eyelids were cold. I was totally sure that if the temperature dropped one more degree I would be able to see my breath in the freezing air. I was wearing hoodies, and long sleeve t-shirts, and I still wasn’t warm. I covered myself up in blankets, and gulped down (free hotel) tea- I was still cold.

For three days, and two nights my teeth chattered, and I wished that I had packed my long-johns. Here was the thing: no one else was cold, so there was no fire coming to warm me up. I talked to 'management' and she looked at me as if I was completely out of my mind. There was no way the thermostat was moving.

When I was 80 pounds heavier I was hot all the time, but since I lost my blubber I am freezing cold. It makes sense, because I was wearing an 80 pound coat. Anyone would notice a difference when they removed their 80 pound coat. But how long will my knees have knock together before my body temperature regulates? Are you going through this? How long does this go on for?


I have to go and turn on the fire.

No comments: