Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Last Sunday Was No Walk In The Park...But Maybe I Should've Walked Instead.

This is a non-edited entry…mostly because it is a rambling story.

It was a cloudy, grey, Sunday, around 9:30 in the morning. I was driving (if you could call it that) the car I love so dearly, the car that was only three-and-half months old, the car that was fully loaded.

Here is my explaination to my split second story…

I was geography lost. I merged into a left hand turn lane at an intersection, and I cut off a woman in a 1989 Ford minivan, she did one of those ‘What the hell are you doing you crazy driver’ honks, I became flustered, I thought I had the right of way… Can you see where this is going?

Yep, I turned left into two lanes two lanes of oncoming traffic. I am admitting to you that I am 100% responsible for this accident. The best news is that NO ONE WAS HURT! (I don’t usually yell, but that is really important to emphasis.) Not a scratch, no broken bones, nothing. How all seven of us walked away as-good-as-new will always be a mystery to me. All I can do is get on my knees, and thank God for watching over all of us that day.

As expected the other drivers and I were stunned. I must say that the other drivers were kind to me. (As kind as you could expect one to be after their car just got totalled because some idiot turned left on a green.) No one yelled at me…

Wait there was someone who wouldn’t stop yelling at me…it was the lady in the 1989 minivan. The lady that I had previously cut off. She took it upon herself to yell at me, thank gawd somebody had to do it. She also proudly and loudly told anyone, and everyone that she would gladly be a witness when this accident went to court. The police had to ask her to leave.

I didn’t feel sorry for myself; sure I was sobbing on the side of the road, but I was the one who had caused all of this hardship on to the others. That being said it was difficult to stand at the side of the road by myself while wearing a hot pink wool jacket. I couldn’t have picked a better time to make a bold fashion statement.

I was supposed to be meeting a friend from the states. That is what led me into the left-hand turn lane. I was trying to meet up with her. She finally found me when she saw the flashing lights. She did stay for a minute to make sure I was alright, and she did wait at the coffee shop for me, but it took over an hour for the police to take pictures, listen to the crazy lady in the minivan, tow the cars away, clean up the accident, talk to the victims, and issue me tickets. She came up to Canada with a friend, and they were here to check out the post Olympic aftermath, so she couldn’t wait around all day, and it was obvious I wasn’t going to go with them as we originally planned. I will be honest and say I do wish I had a friend with me especially when I couldn’t remember my own phone number to call David, or when I was told that I had to stay because ‘The police have to deal with you.’ But like I said I did it with my chin up. And it was then I realized that people don’t think like I do. People have their own ways of doing business. Just because I would have stayed and never left my friend doesn’t mean that she didn’t have the right not to have a great time on her day trip. Why should my downfall ruin her trip to Canada? My friend is a great person otherwise.

I was very lucky to have other friends who dropped everything and drove like maniacs to get to me. (They even went grocery shopping for me that night.) I love them so very much. I think I was hugged non-stopped for 10 minutes straight when I got home. I am very lucky to have that much support.

Getting back to the scene of the crime…

When the police officer finally ‘dealt with me’ I found out that I was going to be receiving a traffic violation ticket. Bring on the tickets I was just happy that no one was hurt. However in true Amy style I did say, ‘Is there anyway I can argue my way out of this?’ I really liked this police officer she had a sense of humour. I received only one ticket for $84. You and I both know that I could’ve been ticketed until the cows came home, but I think she took pity on me.

Today my insurance company called me and told me that my car is a total write-off. I went in to see the adjuster and they not only paid me fair market value, but they paid me more than what I paid for the car three-and-half months ago. (I also got a tax voucher. No need to pay tax again so soon.)

Here is the other weird occurrence…

The dealership where I originally purchased my Focus had the exact same make, model, and color on their lot. Shut up! I know, right? ICBC cut me a check today, and Ford put a sold sign on the car. I am picking it up tomorrow. It will be like this never happened. I’m out 130.00 for the ticket, and the rental car, but nothing else. How is that possible? And another weird thing is that everyone who dealt with me during my ordeal was so kind to me; from the police officer to the insurance adjusters. My insurance adjuster was apologetic for the letter that she had to send to me which stated that I was 100% at fault. (What planet are you from? I know I was 100% at fault- in your face minivan lady. I’m truly sorry that you’ll never get your day in court.)

Things that I have learned this week:

I am lucky to be alive.

Ford Focus’ are built very well. (I didn’t even get a headache.)

I can’t expect people to react the same way I would react if I were in their shoes.

Be thankful for the people in my life who will drop everything to come and rescue you, and then when you get home won’t stop hugging you.

Rental cars suck- but always rent them online you’ll get better deals. My rental car was only $19 a day! Use Enterprise they pick you up and DROP you off.


Eat chocolate because you never know what will happen to you tomorrow. Some idiot could turn left on a green.

I’m still in shock with all that went down last Sunday, but I am going to get through it. I’m tough, and still wearing my hot pink wool jacket.

All of us are lucky to be alive.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Yes, Amy "thank God you and nobody else was hurt" I am glad it all is working out so well for you. Our friends are priceless aren't they? You are one lucky lady. Have a wonderful day today.

JennBand08 said...

Glad you're allright. I'm glad it didn't turn out being a financial nightmare either.