Monday, March 1, 2010

Seriously? No kidding...

Let’s talk about friends. What makes for a great friendship?

We all have different criteria, but for me it is simple: my friends have to be able to make me laugh. Not chuckle, but the gut busting, roll on the floor kind of laughing.

I know you probably are thinking that my standards are pretty free and easy, but they aren’t. In order to make me laugh so the milk is coming out of my nose- that is if I was stupid enough to be drinking milk while I was with said friend; they have to live up to some pretty high standards.

My friend has to know me very well, because most things that are funny to my friend and me are not funny to the rest of the world. The most hilariously things come from the famous in-side jokes. This shows trust, because someone I didn’t know well, or trust would think I’m was crazy if I was rolling on the ground turning purple due to some random thing that popped into my head. It also shows that this person and I are bonded stronger than Super Glue. (Which really isn’t too hard to be; unless it is on your fingers then it is a pain in the ass to unglue, but on every else forget about it. Super Glue really sucks. So Super Glue is really not the best example, but you get the point that I am trying to make.) I’m really happy when both of us are rolling around busting our guts.

My friend shows that they care about me by putting a smile on my face by doing or saying silly things when I’m in the dumps. I also like it if they spring for a coffee too, but that is beside the point. (I pony up for coffee too just so you know.)

A good friend won’t mind if I happen to crack up when they fall victim to a minor injury providing that there was humour attached to it, and they themselves will be able to look back on it and laugh…one day. (And it is even funnier if I by accident… of course; caused this slight mishap. Providing there is no doctors, bandages, or lawsuits involved.) This shows that my friend has forgiveness and tolerance.

My friends have to be honest too, but I like to believe that I don’t pick pathologic liars to befriend.

Why am I bringing this up? I got to thinking a few days back about all of my friends and what they had in common, and I realized they all made me laugh. You know the kind of laugh I am talking about: Gut-Busting-Until-My-Stomach-Hurt-Oh-My-Gosh-Please-Stop-Now-I-Think-I-Might-Die laugh. It is true that I find a lot of things hilarious, but it takes a special person to experience my joy, and at the same time put up with it. (Especially when I am laughing at my own jokes.)

Do you have friends that make you laugh? If not go out and get some; they’re priceless. There is enough sourness in the world. Why be with Debbie Downer? Instead you need happy. I am not saying not to be there for your friends when they need you; that is the best part of being a friend, but make sure you can make them laugh, and visa versa.

I need to share something with you; when I am chatting on line I never use LOL unless I am actually laughing my ass off. I know is suppose to be LMAO, but I use LOL just the same. So if you happen to be chatting with me online, and I write LOL you can be sure that I am having a difficult time typing because I am laughing, and laughing is something I take very seriously.

No comments: